Everyone loves a great tagline that stands behind a brand. It’s so awesome when something is delivered in a few words that really captures the reader (or the listener) and communicates the essence of a company or product. Similar to a lot of marketing terms, a tagline is commonly called by several names including slogans, straplines, mottos, and more. We refer to them as positioning lines to our clients.
Positioning lines are a string of words that place your business alongside your logo and company name. These words are key and critical to establishing your position within the marketplace and are often remembered by many.
So what goes into a strong positioning line? Well – there are a few things that we’ve found to be best to get your brand out there. Follow our 5 tips below on how to create a great positioning line.
1. ID: It needs to support — and stay consistent — with the brand name. For example, think…Subway: Eat Fresh. Subway has had this tagline for years and has stayed consistent with it throughout its changes in branding and logo updates.
2. Sticky: Great positioning lines stick around because they’re memorable. (‘Does she… or doesn’t she?’ from Clairol in the 1950’s – when they first started!)
3. Positive Benefit: You want to convey the consumer benefit for using your product or service in a positive way. (Just do it.) Almost everyone is familiar with Nike’s Just Do It slogan. It’s motivating, positive, and applies to everyone, not just elite athletes. It positively encourages everyone to take action and just do it.
4. Shine: With so many competing messages in an overcrowded playing field it’s important to set yourself apart with a creative and original Positioning Line, ie, don’t be boring and don’t do what others do. ‘Have it your way’ by Burger King sets themselves apart from McDonald’s and Wendy’s by saying customers can customize their burgers and meal options and have the food any way they would like it.
5. KISS: Keep it simple, stupid. This is one of the toughest things to achieve. One word is rarely enough and 7 is usually too many. ‘Stronger than dirt’ by Ajax is a simple positioning line they have used over the years to show their cleaning supplies are truly, stronger than dirt. They have the ability to give a deep clean and eliminate dirt on all of your household items.
One of our favorite taglines is “M’m! M’m! Good!” from Campbell Soup Company. It’s proven to be more successful since 2000 than their previous slogan, “It’s amazing what soup can do.” What do you think?
It’s amazing how a powerful tagline can stick with you and resonate with consumers over the years! Imagine the possibilities if your business had a strong tagline! Call us today to get started at 603-436-6330.